On a walk in the woods

On a walk in the woods

Monday, January 11, 2016

Apologies for the absence

Hey all. In the last month since my last wtiting, the marching I mention got mired in a couple of difficulties and pleasant distractions including: the holidays, the release of Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens, and an uncommonly nasty case of the common cold. It’s really surprising how much time can disappear on you how quickly when you decide to let it.

In Quaker-ly things, I’m just returned from the NEYM Young Adult Friends Midwinter retreat, where I had a chance for some perhaps overdue spiritual reflection in a welcoming, safe yet challenging (in an encouraging way) space. More reflections from that are sure to come, but practically, the intensity and long hours (read: lack of sleep) has either prompted my existing cold to come back with a vengeance or I contracted another strain from one of the other Friends from elsewhere who joined in the gathering.

I also, after a month of complete slacking in practice, must prepare myself to test for Yellow Belt in Shim Gum Do this weekend. I took some time at the retreat to practice my forms (and found that I haven’t forgotten them completely), but I’m going to have to do some intense practice this week if I’m going to feel prepared to test. And if I’m not ready/don’t test, then I suppose I get to practice patience and wait another two months until the next test and find other ways to make myself useful around the temple.

Also, having mentioned Star Wars, here’s a review from a western sword enthusiast/historian/martial artist of the final fight/lighsaber duel in Force Awakens. Warning CONTAINS SPOILERS (so go see the movie already, it’s been weeks!):


No comments:

Post a Comment